Skater of the Month – Queen Benzene
1. Derby name & number:
Queen Benzene (Queenie) #22
2. Real name:
3. Significance of derby name/#:
I’m an environmental consultant. My number used to be C6H6, which was Benzene, but now that there are no more letters in names, I’m 22 for my nephew’s birthday.
5. Position you play:
Blocker/ Sometimes Jammer
6. How long have you been skating?
7. How did you join derby?
The idea just came to me, but I was too afraid. Then I saw Brawler joined and I asked to tag along. Hooked ever since.
8. What do you like most about derby?
I like the community and the unconditional acceptance of the derby community
9. Greatest strength on or off the track
My butt haha on and off the track
10. Derby injuries:
Knock on wood
11. Favorite derby memory:
Too Many, really. I can’t pick just one. Derby Con and Roller Con, Cali and NOLA, Going to the banked track in Philly. So many fun road trips.
12. Favorite foods/drinks:
Pizzer and Tacos
13. Anyone you look up to in the derby world?
14. Who inspires you the most from your league?
I learned everything I know about derby from Doc.
15. Who is the most challenging player you experienced?
Gotham’s Open Scrimmage night, Slaydie, Suzy, Bo, Bonnie
16. Do you play any other sports besides Roller derby?
Bowling, does that count? Derby took over for volleyball, golf and bowling
17. What personal advice would you give young derby beginners?
Basics! Do not rush the process. Learn how to do the basics, well.
18. When and what occasion was a specific moment you felt like you really had to push yourself even harder?
I didn’t make the roster when I thought I should have and I went to every practice and played my heart out. I would have sooner died on that track then give it everything I had.
19. Hobbies outside of derby:
Boating, Eating, Roller Derby, Playcation Team Bad Apples
“Why, sometimes I’ve believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.” Lewis Carroll